- Key Points:
- The heart of worship is surrender. (Let me explain)
- Surrender is an unpopular word and most people don’t really like it because it refers to submission. It implies losing and no one wants to be a loser.
- In today’s competitive culture, we are taught to never give up or give in, so we don’t hear much about surrendering.
- Let me tell you this though, “Surrendering to God is the heart of worship”.
- We give ourselves to him, not out of fear or duty, but in love just like Jesus Christ bore the suffering of all men that existed then and today, and that will exist in the future.
- “so then my friends, because of God’s great mercy to us…offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to his service and pleasing to him. This is the true worship that you should offer”.
- This act of suffering is called many things like making Jesus your Lord, taking up your cross, dying to self, and yielding to the Spirit.
- There are three barriers that block our total surrender to God and they are – Fear, Pride, and Confusion
CAN I TRUST GOD?
- Trust is an essential ingredient to surrender.
- You won’t surrender to God unless you trust him, but you can’t trust him until you know him better.
- How do you know God loves you?
- Well he tells you he loves you, you are never out of his sight, he cares about every detail in your life, he gave you the capacity to enjoy all kinds of pleasure, he has nothing but good plans for your life, he forgives you countless times, he is lovingly patient with you, and he loves you infinitely more than you can imagine. He created you.
- The greatest expression of this love is the sacrifice of Jesus Christ who dies in order to wash our sins away.
- Unlike the devil who tries to woo you into submitting to evil ways through drugs, alcohol, immoral acts, etc. God is not a cruel slave driver or a bully who uses brute force to coerce us into submission.
ADMITTING OUR LIMITATIONS.
- The second barrier to total surrender is our pride.
- We don’t want to admit that we are not in charge of everything.
- It s the oldest temptation that “You will be like God”
- That desire to have complete control is what causes us so much stress in our lives and it is what landed Satan in Hell for ever. I will not be like the devil. I will let God.
- we will never win that struggle with our creator so why try.
- It is true that we accept our humanity intellectually but not emotionally.
- When faced with our own limitations, we react with irritation, anger, and resentment. We want to be taller,shorter, smarter, stronger, more talented, more beautiful, wealthier, etc.
- We want to have it all and do it all, and we become upset when it doesn’t happen.
- Then when we notice that God gave others characteristics we don’t have, we respond with envy, jealousy, and self-pity.
- Offering yourself to God the way you are is what matters.
WHAT IT MEANS TO SURRENDER.
- Surrendering to God is not passive resignation, fatalism, or an excuse to be lazy. It is not accepting the status quo.
- God often calls surrendered people to do battle on his behalf so get ready to work for your Father.
- It also does not mean giving up rational thinking. God would not waste the mind he gave you.
- He doesn’t want robots to serve him so surrendering doesn’t mean repressing your personality. God wants you to use your unique personality for his work and your enjoyment.
- Surrendering is the best demonstration of obedience.
- You say “Yes Lord” to whatever he asks you. To say “No Lord” is a total contradiction in itself because you can’t call Jesus your Lord when you refuse to obey him.
- You know you are surrendered to God when you rely on him to work things out instead of trying to manipulate others, force your agenda, and control the situation. You let go and let God work and be patient cause it is all on his time.
THE BLESSING OF SURRENDER.
- When you fully surrender your life to God, First you experience peace, next you experience freedom and thirdly you experience God’s power in your life.
- surrender doesn’t weaken you, it gives you strength in God. Surrendered to God, you don’t have to fear surrender to anything else.
THE BEST WAY TO LIVE.
- Everyone eventually surrenders to something or someone.
- If not God, you will surrender to the opinions or expectations of others, to money, to resentment, fear, pride, lusts, and even ego.
- You are free to choose what to surrender to, but you are not free from the consequences of that choice.
- Surrendering your life to God is not a foolish emotional impulse but a rational, intelligent act and the most responsible and sensible thing you can do with your life.
- Although it can take years, but eventually, you will discover that the greatest hindrance to God’s blessing in your life is not others, it is yourself – your self-will, stubborn pride, and personal ambition.
- Give it all to God; your past regrets, present problems, and future ambitions. your fears, dreams, weaknesses, habits, hurts, and hang-ups. Put Jesus Christ in the driver seat of your life and take your hands off the steering wheel.
- Don’t be afraid; nothing under his control can ever be out of control. Mastered by Christ you can handle all things.
- I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency.
*WHEN YOU DECIDE TO LIVE A TOTALLY SURRENDERED LIFE, THAT DECISION WILL BE TESTED MANY TIMES. SOMETIMES IT WILL MEAN DOING INCONVENIENT, UNPOPULAR, COSTLY, OR SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE TASKS. IT WILL OFTEN MEAN DOING THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU FEEL LIKE DOING BUT HAVE FAITH AND TRUST GOD TO BE THE DRIVER OF YOUR LIFE.
Now it is your time to surrender to God’s grace, love and wisdom.
QUESTION TO CONSIDER:
- What area of my life am i holding back from God?